View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
Like the last poster stated, the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program is one of the two disability programs administered by the Social Security Administration. If your brother never worked, it is likely that he is on SSI, not Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), and does not have a spouse with as much income as yours has. Any month that you and your husband live together, his income will be used to compute an SSI benefit. Can you tell us how much his SSDI is and what state you live in?

Social Security Disability Insurance may be the disability income that your husband is getting based on his work history. When you are age 62, you could get a portion of his benefit if you file a retirement claim. That is a long time. It is too bad that you and he didn't figure out how these programs worked before you became disabled because you may not have decided to stay out of the work force. You are not the first middle income stay at home mom who discovered that there is no disability program for you.
My husbands disability is 1318 a month..my brothers is something like 650? from what my mother has said..my brother is 42 and has been disabled due to auto accident for about 15 yrs..we are in sc
bretay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote