View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Morning Alffe,
It's a huge subject isn't it.
I don't think the guidelines are saying you're crazy but I do think that what a lot of the grief and bereavement councellors are concerned about is that grief will be medicalized. I'm absolutely sure that it's possible to become depressed during the grieving process, but I think that allowing 2 weeks of grieving after a tragic loss is almost laughable. I grieve for lost pets for years. I don't *think* I get depressed and the grief does fade off but it's still loss and still grief. I was thinking about the "process"... when my mother died when I was little child, I was too young I guess to really have it affect me greatly but I did grieve in my childlike way. Then as I got older all manner of problems arose in my mind concerning her dying. I would have to say it turned into depression but that was more that I was stuck with unhealthy patterns of thinking. Unrealistic too.

I think it's just all too complicated to have bundled grief and depression together like that. There's also the cultural implications of grief. Many cultures grieve very differently from others, just as every person grieves in different ways and at different pace.

The main thing will be for grief councellors to keep plodding away and making sure they recognize every individual situation. The fear is I guess that people will present to medical professionals and be give an anti-depressant in the very early stages of grieving and not address the REAL issues.

anyway, it's so complicated and it's very early here. Hope some of that makes sense.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (05-27-2013), barbo (05-28-2013), bizi (05-27-2013)