View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Tashi,

So at this point how are you feeling? Have you had any flare ups?

Why did he chose not to do the grafting at the time of the extraction? Did he mention anything about the health of the bone at that time?

Grafting is done to stimulate and encourage new growth of your own bone. Grafting does not replace what bone is missing. Your own new bone takes over the graft after several months of healing.

Without the graft to encourage bone growth, you may or may not naturally grow enough bone to hold an implant. Yes, a hole in drilled into the bone and the implant is threaded into the hole. The implant is meant to integrate with the bone similar to your natural tooth. This is why it is imperative for there to be adequate healthy bone to hold the implant.

There is really no way to know if a dental implant will negatively affect the RSD. If it does, it may show itself immediately or some time down the road. I wish there was a more definitive and positive answer to that :/

Bryanna
Thank you Bryanna for your input.
I am into day 5 and the extraction inflammation has finally come down. Now the spots where the injections were given hurt. Those should settle down soon too.

I chose not to have the bone graft done at the time of the extraction as I did not know whether an implant would work for me. I have had RSD for 30 years now, and I do not want to wake the RSD pain..

I see the surgeon in about a week. Then is when he will need an answer as to whether we are going ahead or not. I am thinking not.

If a long car ride 's vibration causes the RSD to flare, I can't imagine what drilling into the bone would do to me.
'If' my body would tolerate the implant, I would do the bone grafting...

From what I have read on some other websites, some people are in bad pain from their implant and are looking for help.

The surgeon is also going to talk with another oral surgeon that has had more experience with RSD people. The other surgeon has researched the issue, and won't do an implant on an RSD person.
So it will be interesting to see what my oral surgeon comes away with from consulting with him.
Tashi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote