View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace2013 View Post
Hi my daughter is 11 weeks old tomorrow and had a shunt placed when she was 1 day old since then she has had 4 further operations she's is a bright and happy child but I panic when I think her head has gone bigger. She never shows any signs that shunt isn't working even when shed had the other operations am I just being a panicky mum as I'm new to hydrocephalus
Hi Stace, I'm new to this site. I'm 44 yrs old and have had ten shunt revisions, with my shunt being placed at 9 wks old. I would say it's really important that you trust your instincts and keep an eye on your daughter when something seems not quite right. My mother tells me that I used to projectile vomit clear across the room, so that seemed a pretty obvious sign that something was wrong with me.

Whatever you do, don't ever let any doctor make you second-guess yourself. Your daughter depends on you to see her through any and all trials that may come with this hydrocephalus. For whatever it's worth, I was born at a time when they truly didn't know what they were doing. They experimented a lot and made many mistakes on me. But I'm alive and got a university degree and have had to become my own advocate with oft-ignorant physicians. Good luck with your daughter. I will keep her in my thoughts.
hydromaman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote