View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Compound depressed skull fracture

Hi
I'm new here, having just suffered a compound depressed skull fracture, in an accident that never should have happened
Basic summary, I went on an organized fossil hunt, with my husband, son , another couple and our guide
The area consisted of a drainage, which we starter to walk up, surrounded on both sides by a schale slope that also contained many rocks.
The guide went up the one slope, with another person following, and then preceeded to walk transverse on it, with us below
Bottom line, a rock got dislodged and hit me in the back of the head, as I was bent over
I thus had an open wound, and, a trip to thew closest emerg showed I had also had a fracture,. I was referred to a center where a CAT scan was done
It showed that I had a depressed fracture, with some fragments
It was decided not to intervene surgically, but just treat me with IV antibiotics and an anti seizure drug for a week.
I never had any neurological symptoms, but of course, my fear of developing a brain abscess, is making it hard to resume my normal life
Thus, I really need some positive feedback from somebody that had a similar skull fracture, and best follow up protecol
Awarded is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote