View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default You WILL improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlFromNorway View Post
Hi!

I'm a 26 years old girl from Norway. I've had multiple concussions in the past. Five years ago I fell off my horse and was unconscious for several minutes. I recovered completely. A year later I hit my head at the bathroom floor and the concussion symptoms was back. Two weeks after that I hit my head in the roof of my car. At that time I hadn't yet recovered from my second concussion, and I had post concussion syndrome symptoms for about 8 months after that - ringing in ears, loss of concentration, terrible headache, nausea, could not read books, computer etc. After this I almost completely recovered. However, I persisted to be extremely sensitive to any bumps when driving etc. I never hug anyone because I tend to get psc symptoms if they accidentally "hit" my head to hard. This may sound crazy, but my head is extremely sensitive. After these incidents I usually recover after about one or two weeks. But not this time.

One month ago I was driving with someone who drove on a hole in the road. This made me dizzy and all my symptoms came back. One week later I had a similar experience when an elevator I took had a hard "jerking" movement. After this I have been extremely annoyed with psc symptoms. I have ringing in my ears, dizziness, loss of concentration, irritability, terrible headache (impossible to describe) etc. I am so frustrated and afraid the symptoms will persist for monts or years. What do you think my prognosis is after these last incidents? I just finished my law degree with extremely good results and I want to work, but right now I can't even think. I am so afraid for my future, and I will rather die than have these symptoms. I don't know what to do and I am so depressed about how things have turned out. I will be extremely thankful for any advise. When can I expect my symptoms to cease after these two last incidents? Can I risk to have these symptoms for years? I know I will still be very sensitive and I try my best to avoid hitting my head, but I just want these symptoms to go away.

Sorry for my poor English skills. I hope someone could help because I'm so afraid and frustrated. Thank you in advance.
There are treatments and medications that can help, if your symptoms aren't resolving on their own. If you look at my signature, you will see that it is entirely possible to get better. Am I 100% better? No, but I'm about 90% better after about 9 months since I started the recovery process of rest and therapy. My bothersome symptoms are vision-related, and i expect they will resolve after further therapy.

Since I started an antidepressant, I am no longer depressed or lethargic, and I seem to have regained my stamina as well, or at least it's improved a lot. It sounds like an antidepressant might be in order, if you are feeling as despondent as you seem. Being depressed and anxious can negatively impact your recovery, so I would definitely talk to a doctor about how your feeling.

Don't lose hope! You can live a full, rich life. It just takes time and patience to recover.
I have recovered my cognitive function, and I've overcome severe vertigo through sensory integration therapy. Wellbutrin has helped me escape depression. I have recently had a few stress-related migraines, as well as headaches stemming from eye strain. I'm also dealing with tinnitus, lack of stamina, extreme light sensitivity, and eye pain. Diagnosed with 9 different vision issues: convergence insufficiency, pursuit eye movement deficit, egocentric visual midline shift, photophobia, visual information processing delays, accommodative insufficiency, saccadic eye movement deficit, lack of coordination, and central peripheral visual integration deficit.

*First concussion: October 2010. I was pregnant and got rear ended. I associated my mild PCS symptoms with baby brain and blamed my light sensitivity on allergies and dry eyes.
*Second concussion: December 2011. I hit my head on a wooden beam, saw stars but did not lose consciousness, and I had very disturbing PCS symptoms but didn't go to the doctor.
*Third concussion: August 2012. I caused a car accident as a result of PCS symptoms. Thankfully no one was injured but me. My husband confronted me, and I finally sought help and took medical leave from work. My symptoms worsened, and I developed severe vertigo.
*Fourth concussion: November 2012. I was riding in a car with a friend and we were hit head on by a driver who lost control of her car. I didn't have a big increase in PCS symptoms.
DFayesMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon22217 (05-29-2013)