View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

When I read your post I thought that I was reading one of my own posts. I am two years younger than you and my first concussion was also from falling off of a horse. I lost consciousness for a few seconds. I was 19 and in my second semester of my freshman year in college. The difference is that I never healed. Two weeks after my first concussion I hit my head again. Since that time I have hit my head about 12 significant times and 4 of those were certainly concussions and I have bumped my head so many other times that I can't even count and this is all in the past 4 years.

The first couple concussions, I could hardly read or concentrate. But as time went on and I made the decision to return to school I began to find ways to cope.

I have now been a year and three months since my last concussion. I have had a headache every day for 4 years and three months. I have a intense 3 or 4 day migraine every couple weeks which is much better than 3 or 4 days out of every week. My concentration is still weak, but that directly relates to how much sleep I have had, too much sleep or too little. Light hurts my eyes like daggers, and certain sounds are like daggers to my brain. My neck muscles are always tight.

Nausea hasn't bothered me since February. Dizziness is only a problem now and then, another thing that has begun to get better. I still can't do any sort of activity beyond walking from one end of the house to the other without paying for it for hours, but at least it is hours instead of days now.

I can't deal with people very well. I get very irritable and grouchy.

But, 4 years in and 1 year since my last concussion, I can see a little improvement and it gives me hope that over time I might be able to go to a concert or go sunbathe without pain. Even to go a couple days without pain would just be an unimaginable joy.

Anyways, I wish you the best! I hope that you can learn to cope and then to be surprised by your healing as I have been and I hope that unlike me it happens very quickly. Don't ride any more horses and beware the bumps! (I refuse to ride in cars with bad shocks).
Live Long and Prosper!
In Christ,
Margarite

Fell off a horse in late winter of 2009 blacked out for a couple seconds, had amnesia for 10 hours (still don't remember this time), had 2 CT scans, 2 MRI's, 1 MRA all negative. Since the first concussion I have continually knocked my head into different things purely by accident or from being stupid. These many concussions over a short period of time have caused
constant migraines, nausea, and dizziness/lack of balance.
Migraine triggers are:
light sensitivity (especially to florescent or bright lights)
sound sensitivity (especially to high pitched or loud sounds)
temperature sensitivity (especially to cold or extreme heat)
activity (especially if breathing increases or head is jostled)
pressure on head (sinuses, hats, headbands, sunglasses, pony-tails)
lacks or quality (food, sleep, water)
tension (stress, tight muscles, tired eyes, sickness)
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (06-12-2013), GirlFromNorway (05-31-2013), poetrymom (05-30-2013)