View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 06:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Best Way to Initiate Prednisone Treatment?

Hello,

I have MG, but not the ocular kind. Male, mid-forties. No thymus issues.

At any rate, Mestinon did zilch for me -- it did not help my shortness of breath or weak shoulders. I had dermatitis last month, and took two rounds of prednisone over the course of about 6 weeks. The highest I got was 40 mg per day. It was one of those 3-week taper packs. I felt best when my dose was between 20-40 mg.

The prednisone improved my quality of life. Muscle and general fatigue gone, energy up, and sleep much, much better. I concluded my second round of prednisone, but after a few weeks, my MG symptoms seemed to come back a little bit.

I had my 6-month followup today with my neurologist and told him my experiences. He gave me a script for 10 mg of prednisone every other day.

It seems most folks taper up to a dose of 30-60 mg of prednisone, then begin a slow taper to a lower, every other day dose. Is starting treatment fresh on a 10 mg EOD maintenance dose a good way to do it, too?

Is it worth my time to try this maintenance dose, or should I be pressing for a more traditional taper up/down before the maintenance dose is initiated?

Thanks!
zalue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote