View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelveleaves View Post
35 yr old female living in the pacific northwest. I was just diagnosed with Bilateral Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome with cervical ribs. I have had TOS for 13 yrs though. I saw one local vascular surgeon and he says he believes I need surgery. I am hesitant to get surgery and want to do more research. I am exploring the idea of flying to Boston to see Dr. Donahue for a second opinion. The pain and symptoms have increased and have gotten much worse in the past 7 months since I started working a job that requires computer (laptop) use. I have given my notice at work and am resigning due to my inability to perform my job. I am just eeking out these last few weeks and popping vicodin when I get home. There is no way I could keep this up. I feel like crying some days during work the pain is so bad. Driving is another huge trigger for me. Even just driving for a couple minutes causes a flare up. I plan on filing a claim with my short term disability insurance company as of my last day of work and this monthly $ should cover my COBRA payments. It will buy me some time to sort all this out and figure out if I should have surgery or not, how I feel after not working for some months straight, if not decide if I should apply for SSDI, etc etc.

It's crazy to think that this is my reality and that I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life. It's overwhelming at times and sad. Over the 13 yrs that I have been suffering from TOS (with no diagnosis until 2 weeks ago) I slowly had to give up activities....basketball, bowling, kayaking, backpacking, driving a stick shift, art, playing guitar, etc.

The acute pain has also taken a larger toll on my general health...fatigue, brain fog, disposition, etc.

In addition to NTOS I also have a congenital hereditary blood disorder that causes me to tire more easily than "normal" people, and I also have IBS (developed after having my gallbladder removed at age 21). A few doctors have also suspected I have fibromyalgia.

Thankfully I do know that if I don't drive, don't use a computer, hold a phone to my ear, lift heavy things, work, etc I feel much much better. I could live with not being able to work and not being able to do many of the things I once enjoyed in pre-NTOS but people keep telling me it would be a shame for someone so young to accept that fate. In other words they are saying I should have the surgery as if it will cure me. From what I have read I just don't know if this is the case. I do not want to start the cycle of surgery after surgery.

Advice gladly accepted!
I have heard good things about Dr. Kai Johansen in Seattle. It might be worth a shot to see him first. also have you tried PT? That is always the first step. Also Trigger Point injections have helped me. Botox helps some people but it didnt help me.Good Luck.-JKL