View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 11:03 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

GrannyLaLa,

Unfortunately, there is no way to "clean" out a tooth completely because there is no access to the microscopic canals. In addition to that the medicaments that are used during the root canal procedure are toxic and should not be used in the mouth. The gutta percha material used to plug up the large canals is a latex material that has heavy metals, including mercury and lead, added to it so it can be seen on radio graphs. Other chemicals it may contain include formocreasol or parachlorophenol. All of which can cause inflammation and infection, allergic reactions, and compromise the immune system. Unfortunately, most dentists do not inform their patients about any of that prior to performing the root canal.

The "rods" you write about are "posts" that are placed inside of a root canaled tooth to provide retention and strength to a very fragile and sickly tooth. The problem with posts and the reason they often cause the tooth to break off at or below the gum line is because teeth are not designed to be so rigid. Posts also allow and then trap bacteria around the margins which travels underneath the crown pre disposing the tooth to recurrent decay.

In dentistry.. the word "save" when referring to a root canal does not mean "cure"... it means "retain". Unfortunately, the tooth remains infected and inflamed irrelevant of what procedure is done to it. The only way to "cure" the infection is to remove the source which is the tooth.

Bryanna

QUOTE=GrannyLaLa1960;988240]First I'm not a dentist nor in that field *admin edit*

Now that link shows that several visits are needed to really fix a root canal, it's needed to really 'clean' a tooth before finishing the root canal. My first root canals were done back in early 90's by a general dentist that cleaned my teeth inside more than once before putting in the rods, then capped the teeth. Here it is 2013 and absolutely NO problems with those teeth. Now I've had a couple of teeth done by a few other general dentist that have really had no clue how to do a root canal: 1 put in inferior rod and the cap broke and the rod has broken. I'm thinking the rod was polymer and not titanium. Another went through the SIDE of the tooth, into the bone and disrupted the sac around the tooth. Emergency visit to the "endo" to patch and spent over 2 weeks on pain pills with a very swollen face.

I have no answers for your tooth but if it's that infected after the root canal and it's going to be that expensive then it might be better to do an implant after the infection is cleared up. I'd hate to do that myself. The latest dentist I went to is talking pulling teeth i.e. the broken root canal. I'm for letting the endo that saved my last tooth go in and look to see if it can't be saved. I'm going to read the rest of the posts to see what has happened, if you're posted since.

I wish I could find another dentist that does root canals in more than one stage and really "cleans" a tooth like the dentist that did my first root canal.[/QUOTE]
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anneo59 (06-21-2013)