View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm only into month 10 of my concussion, and I am still learning a lot from this forum.

I am currently undergoing vision therapy / prism glasses for convergence insufficiency and accommodation issues since my eyes no longer work in binocular fashion. I saw some improvement in the beginning, but I've plateaued now.

My ENT did a battery of test showing peripheral and central vestibular dysfunction. I am going to do more tests. The treatment is often vestibular therapy, epley manuevers (peripheral), sometimes medication and rarely surgery.

I have heard that some of the medications can have severe side effects for vestibular- but I am still learning about this as well for myself.

I have heard the EEG/neurofeedback works, but only if your binocular vision/gaze is stable. The lights can sometimes trigger headaches or migraines if not.

Other than vision and vestibular therapies, as well as prism lenses, I think there is very little treatment.

I have also been guided by others on this forum that the timeline can be long- perhaps 3-5 years!

My neuro-ophthalmologist said that they are still researching the connection between vision-vestibular systems. Let us know what you uncover as I will. There is much to be learned from each other.

Post-event: Diagnosed with post-concussion syndrome, ptsd, whiplash, peripheral and central vestibular dysfunction and convergence insufficiency. MRI/CT scans fine.

Symptoms: daily headaches, dizziness/vertigo, nausea, cognitive fog, light/noise sensitivities, anxiety/irritability, fatigued, convergence insufficiency, tinnitus and numbness in arms/legs.

Therapies: Now topamax 50mg daily; Propanolol and Tramadol when migraine. Off nortryptiline and trazodone. Accupuncture. Vitamin regime. Prism glasses/vision therapy. Vestibular therapy 3month. Gluten free diet. Dairy free diet. On sick leave from teaching until Sept. 2014.
berkeleybrain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote