View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 07:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelveleaves View Post
The vascular surgeon who wants to do surgery on me said I won't be able to return to work for at least 3 months. This would be after removal of a cervical rib, scalenectomy, and removal of scar tissue.

3 weeks sounds way too soon from what I have read of others experiences, but what do I know?

Hi, twelveleaves

oh wow 3 months? Cervical rib is a little different from my case, Cervical is an extra rib (so your surgery might be more complicated due to the anatomy in which the rib grew and what structures it has effected). Thankfully I didn't have the cervical rib, I just 1st rib (the regular rib) removal, scalenectomy, aswell as scar tissue removal . Do you happen to know the approach (the way) they are doing your surgery? (under the armpit?).

I was caught off guard when I woke up after surgery, I thought my incision was going to be under the collarbone, but it was on the side on my neck (roughly 3 inches vertical and above and along the collarbone). I'm curious if anyone has had this approach?

I'm seeing my referring physician on June 10th, to fill out my "return to work" documents. My surgery was on May 16th. so just over the 3 week mark. I'll find out then if i'll be on modified work duties (my surgeon stated I might have to work part-time at first), or if i'm still going to be off work longer. I'm hoping he'll state when I do go back to work, I have to work from home (due to the weight limitations) - I never knew how hard it was going to be not lifting more than 5lbs (being a women my purse/bag comes very close to that 5lbs mark).

I guess it's just to see how the progress is in the recovery process, yesterday and today's been a rough day - a bed ridden day. Pain is still the biggest concern as my pain meds are almost gone, which i'll have to switch back to my old prescription - praying it helps, even a little. Aswell as my breathing is a huge issue still (it's hard to breathe deeply - and painful) - having mild asthma is also a concern i'm just hoping a attack doesn't happen . the last 3 days here in Toronto have been Heat Advisories - therefore housebound - which sucks.

Anyways good luck on your surgery!! let me know how everything turned out!

Katie
Toronto,Canada is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote