Thread: Expired credits
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

I began working at 16, and became disabled in my late 20's and receive a substantial SSDI payment on my own work record.

SS gives a person 5 years in which to file for SSDI before they face ineligibity--which is a long time IMO.

It is important to let people know how important their work credits are and to pick up a long term disability policy as young as possible.

Ginnie's situation is complicated and involves issues that the vast majority of disabled worker's will not ever face, such as how to retain possession of a valuable home via a trust, while collecting SSI and/or Medicaid.

I was hoping this thread wouldn't get derailed, but it seems to be too late, so I'll add my family's experiences. I had an aunt that was an artist and owned an expensive home in the Bay Area, which she was forced to sell after working many years as a successful graphic artist when book publishing began to change and utilize employees that did the work on computers. She struggled for many years and bought down a few times so she could live off part of her home sale proceeds. She worked part time, from home, making just enough to get by and ended up with cancer. At the time, CA offered insurance for those that didn't qualify for Medicaid and had serious health issues. My mom and grandparents were often forced to cover the cost, which was very high. The reality is, that it is incredibly difficult to make a living as an artist, so unless you are in the 1% luck and talent wise, it can be a tough way to make a living. My mother, who chose a more stable and practical occupation, subsidized my aunt's lifestyle choices for many years.

When my mom retired, she very generously offered to add me as a beneficiary to her pension. If she dies before I do, I'll receive a portion of her monthly income. At the time, I had not yet been approved for SSDI, and we discussed if it made sense for her to reduce her own retirement AND make me ineligible for potential entitlement programs in the future--SSI, Medicaid, Section 8, food stamps, etc. She chose to make the sacrifice, so that I would have the security, and not ever have to worry about government policies and funding.

I also spend nearly $500 a month on insurance because I carry a high tier Medicare supplement, while many gamble that they don't need it. (Most of my medical expenses are covered by WC.) It's a major sacrifice to ensure my long term financial stability.

I'm also relocating to an area with a lower cost of living, so I can afford to buy a home. Which is something that many people on SS are faced with.

So, while I can feel great empathy for those that are struggling, I also think it would be unfair for the public to have to pay for the consequences of their decisions, unless they're destitute.

Last edited by LIT LOVE; 06-02-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Auto correct got me again!
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-02-2013)