View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelKB View Post
I have a few questions about physical therapy that I hope someone can help me with. I had my first appointment this week (10 weeks post-op c4-7 acdf) and was given some exercises to do at home. They are basic moving my head exercises such as turning my head left/right, chin to chest and extending up as well as ear to shoulder. They are absolutely excruciating. My range of motion is awful but it's so upsetting how little I can move without feeling pain. Is this normal? Do I push through the pain or will I make it worse? The PT told me to move to strain not to pain but it's all pain. I go back tomorrow but I'm really nervous. Also, since starting these exercises, I am experiencing more tingling and numbness in both hands. What is normal and what were your experiences? What kind of range of motion do you currently have? Thanks in advance for any responses.

If i do chin to chest cause me pain 3yrs out from surgery --if I look up at the sky or roll shoulders forward --all these I learned I can't and won't do anymore. I would say don't do anything that causes pain. Remember what I said about posture its the one thing I learned to control from trial and error.I have a good range of motion but when driving esp switching lane I have to use shoulders to turn head. I got a truck with back up camera after surgery not that I had too--- I just wanted it to feel more secure as I was nervous about backing up esp parking lot and hitting somebody. I was nervous if i would miss a blind spot. For me-- till this day-- looking down and up is not a good thing --the other thing is I cant sleep on the right side anymore as it cause right shoulder pain .My advice to you is listen to your body --its not like a workout when your trying to get in shape no pain no gain--- after neck surgery anything brings pain avoid like the plague is my advice. Cherl you know i wish you nothing but the best. Please avoid anything that causes pain.

p.s almost forgot yes i still have finger numbness that never went away --but it dont stop me from doing anything.
mg neck prob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ChelKB (06-05-2013), eva5667faliure (08-22-2015)