View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default standard vs acute rehab

Hi! I keep repeating this but I'm sure I'm right. The therapists all learned from the same book and all apply the same procedures here. This is good for knees, hips ,ect. but not so good for the neck after decompression and fusion. The neck surgery area needs a different approach- it needs to be relaxed, soothed, cooled down-not irritated more! Your excruciating pain confirms this. Their hidden thought will be- your not a good patient(not ,I need to change what I'm doing here) I compare their method to - trying to repair a watch with a hammer and chisel! I experienced the bad side of this, I'm not just blowing smoke about it. I trusted many health care "professionals" over the years and found out they are just hacks earning a paycheck. I would return and ask if they have acute rehab available that can deal with neurological deficits. If there is not a straight yes or no answer and a plan (after an evaluation), I would politely say goodbye and move on to a facility that can handle you. Standard rehab will not work! I suffered terribly under standard rehab until I rebelled and said "enough"!- your killing me here-I'm out. Acute rehab will be much better for you. I guess I might as well tell you now- you are now a resident on "the island of misfit toys"! this is different,we are in an area of your body that has a conduit of nerves passing through.It's not about hammering out more exercises. It's about getting relief and maintaining function and balance.Try to avoid advice from standard rehab knee, hip , shoulder patients- they mean well but you are now on the island with the rest of us. Talk to whiplash people wearing the cervical collar, younger people(20,30,40 somethings) walking with canes and have that gait deficit style of walking. You will be able to spot them soon enough; ask them where they rehabbed. also, your surgeon can help with this and write a script to the right facility. for you , right now - get an ice pack on that area and calm it down.. Thanks for reading, take care..sfink
sfink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ChelKB (06-05-2013), eva5667faliure (08-22-2015)