View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 11:42 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winic1 View Post
I don't understand--what does the patent on the original form of oxycodone expiring have to do with an increase in illegal drug trade? A patent describes a product or process created by a company, and gives them exclusive rights to it for a specified number of years. This keeps other companies from copying or using their product/procedure, thereby reducing the profit they would now make from it for that number of years. The owner of a patent can license or sell rights to it to other companies, so that they still profit from production of their product. When a patent expires, that means other companies can now put out their own version of the product. Which means it usually becomes more readily available, and often less expensive since the competition generally drives the price down, and more places can be making and selling it. But since you need a doctor or medical facility, of some sort, whether legal or not, to get oxycodone, it is still a controlled market, whether by legal means or not, so price and availability may not be affected the same way that, say, toys are.

The company who created oxycodone still owns several current patents on newer formulations of the drug.

If finally the DEA has decided to crack down on pill mills (it took the USPS 10 years to arrest a local postal worker who they knew had been robbing our mail for those 10 years, it took 10 years for the city of Denver to arrest the obscene phone caller who used to call my dorm & colleges & homes all over the city, regularly, guess it just takes the gov't 10 years to get their backsides in gear) so that prescription drugs are harder to get, whether they should have them or not, then it is going to drive people to illegal drugs. And the illegal drugs currently flooding the country are constantly changing, have been as long as there have been illegal drugs, always the drive for something new, something to increase the profits just like any legitimate business strives for.

I don't see the connections you are implying, have I missed something?

I think it is just really unfortunate that legitimate patients get burned because of illegitimate doctors and "patients". There should be more intelligent thought into separating the two, not seeing everyone as an illegal drug addict, whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
Good point winic

My bad, I did not include all the information here.....was just a summary. I will show how I made connections, I just did not want post to be 8 pages long.....will go back to sources and supply for you. I don't just make random connections. I agree, I needed to include that information.

I had hell for 4 months due to the problems stated above as I had NO CLUE there was a problem with pill mills....I did not even know they existed Until I moved and the new pain management doctor said "I am no longer taking patients who need medication management (pain meds) due to problems with the DEA" "but since you were sent here by someone I know I will see if I can take care of you"

After 4 months I am still in alot of pain as the new doctor significantly reduced my medicine to the point where I really can not use my arms very much.......(I have worked and had decent life until 4 months ago)

I know I can have a much better quality of life, but I am stuck in the house until the new doctor decides I will not get him any trouble......

So even with proof of a bad birth defect that is notorious for causing severe pain....I am being questioned, sent to new doctors to get PROOF of pain, and way under- treated for months on end. All because of the situation I wrote about above.

I am exhausted from dealing with pain and will have to maybe look for another doctor if this new doctor only under treats pain.

We had to move due to economy, so I had no other choice. I do not know, but the new trend may be to just under treat pain.....and let people suffer. I do not know. All I know is that there is a huge problem and it is very sad for people who have severe problems with pain syndromes.

After going through pure hell I actually thought of a way for medical professionals to know what patients have pain syndromes just in case someone may need to move! There is a database that pain medicines prescribed is put into to find people who are breaking the law.....I thought hey, why can't there be a database that tells them who is following the laws exactly! Why does the system always cater to people who are doing the wrong things.......I think that everyone who has a PAIN SYNDROME needs a ID card connected to a database that will identify us as patients and not drug addicts.

I have never been a drug addict......nor addict in any form. It makes me mad that there is not a better system that identifies pain syndrome patients.

I have worked hard the last 10 years as a home health nurse and had to cope with a pain syndrome which was really really hard to do.....then to be treated like a criminal was just demoralizing and it made me furious.

I am not going to just sit here and complain, I am writing my state representatives....congress....everyone I can to try to make a difference.

Everyone here who has a pain syndrome, if you have to move and lose your doctor you may be treated really.....I was.

ANYWAY... I will reply back to show my work for you winci.
cheryl1593 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote