Thread: Hyperflexia
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 12:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hyperflexia

I'm normally on the neuropathy forum, but Friday when I went to the pain doc she said I had hyperflexia and is sending me in for an MRI to rule out (hopefully) MS. Something I was reading about hyperflexia has me perplexed. It said:

"The reflexes may be dulled by depressant medications, low metabolic states like low magnesium, severe depression, or hypothyroidism. Also in low thyroid states, the reflexes not only will be lessened, but they will be delayed."

Wouldn't this mean I have less reflexes, like they should respond slowly? I have low magneisum, depression and hypothyroidsim (subclinical but taking meds). I'm taking magnesium pills because my oxcarbazepine (anti-seizure med) depletes it. Am I reading this correctly? So since I have all of these things, and still have hyperflexia, am I totally screwed here? Or am I reading this backwards?

I'm getting more and more worried because of the look in her eye when she asked if I had an MRI done and I said no. It was the first time to this new doc. My neuro had never ordered an MRI. I'm trying not to scare my husband with what I'm worrying about, even though it would be great to have an answer for all of this, finally.
chaos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mg neck prob (06-03-2013), SallyC (06-03-2013)