View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Diagnosed just a month ago

Two months ago my now husband and I eloped to return to a big reception. The night before the reception I broke my left foot in two places. I continued to walk, dance and wear heels the rest of the weekend (you only do it once, right??) before discovering just how injured I actually was. Just one short week after being put in a non-weight bearing boot my pain began to show RSD symptoms such as an increase in pain, my foot turned blue to the point of it looking dead, and the constant feeling of pins and needles. My original doctor simply put me on medical leave from my teaching job and told me to keep it elevated that it was simply from the break. My instincts proved true that something just wasn't right and I was blessed enough to have an amazing second opinion dr. that diagnosed it RSD immediately. He quickly referred me to the best anesthesiologist in the Charlotte region and I had an appt. with that dr. a week later. He said I'm lucky in that we caught it earlier than most so that I have a real chance at beating it. I'm going to beat it. I'm taking Lyrica 3x/daily as well as Nucenta. They are already helping me to walk--something I haven't done in over 5 weeks and what I thought was impossible with the electric shocks of pain in my feet and legs when I tried...that was a big achievement in and of itself. Today I had the first of 6-8 weekly sympathetic nerve block injections. I'm feeling hopeful. I have too much to look forward to with my amazing new husband and my own career and personal goals to let this stop me..maybe just slow me down a little bit to remind me of my strength.
afuellgraf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Djhasty (07-12-2013)