Thread: Tough Day
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncledave View Post
It's about 90 degrees here in southeastern KY. The wife and I went shopping today. The heat about sucked the life out of me. We went to a restaurant and I ordered a hamburger. I had a lot of trouble eating it. My jaws started feeling really tired and my tongue got thick and started hurting. I'd stop after a few chews to rest and then resume chewing. This is the worst spell of this I've ever had. It had largely disappeared after I started Mestinon but today it was back with a vengeance. I hope this was just transitory.

On a positive note I got a Rollator today and really like it so far. I was so tired that I didn't get to try it out much today and am going to test it out at WalMart soon.
Uncle Dave, sigh, I've been there. I want you to be extremely cautious when you get that kind of sensation from your tongue, in particular, when it feels thick, or stops working, all together. If it happens again, and it's likely, at this point, I suggest you lean over, place a napkin to your mouth, and let the food fall into your napkin. And then wait. I would like you to try to avoid using your fingers, if possible, because sometimes we can push the food in, however, I had to use my fingers like pincers, sometimes.

I also would ask that you report the tongue incident to your neurologist.

I would suggest to any person who is experiencing this, book an appointment with a dietitian, or dietician <<American spelling... They
can advise you about a "soft food diet."

Note to Canadians: In some provinces, your neurologist can refer you to a hospital dietitian for one visit, which is covered provincially.
Fortunatos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cait24 (06-03-2013)