View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Broken Neck and a lot of pain - MRI

Hi All,
Looking for some out of the money box thinking. I have the MRI on disc with a cool reader so I can see everything. Also have this report:

1. Broad based disc bulges are noted at T7-T8 and T8-T9 causing complete effacement of ventral CSF spaces and neural foraminal narrowing. (in other words there is no space for my nerves that enter the spinal cord – MUCH pain!)
2. C2-C3 Mild broad based disc bulge with left uncovertebral and facet joint hypertrophy, causing mild impression on the ventral CSF space and mild to moderate left foraminal narrowing
3. C3-C4 Mild broad based disc bulge with bilateral uncovertebral and facet joint hypertrophy, causing mild impression on the ventral CSF space and mild to moderate bilateral foraminal narrowing
4. C4-C5 No significant disc bulge or canal narrowing. Bilateral uncovertebral and facet joint hypertrophy, causing mild bilateral foraminal narrowing.
5. C5-C6 Broad based disc bulge with bilateral uncovertebral and facet joint hypertrophy, causing near-complete effacement of the ventral CSF space and mild right and moderate to severe left foraminal narrowing
6. C6-C7 C6 Broad based disc bulge with bilateral uncovertebral and facet joint hypertrophy, causing near-complete effacement of the ventral CSF space and mild right and moderate to severe left foraminal narrowing
7. C7-T1 No significant disc bulge, canal, or foraminal narrowing.
IMPRESSION
1. Chronic type 1 fracture of the dens with posterior translation on extension views. There is encephalomalacia within the spinal cord at the level of the fracture.
2. Multilevel degenerative changes as described above. (All they looked at was the cervical and thorastic areas, told me my lumbar was worse, I have bone that touches bone on occasion and boy does that hurt. I had two discectomy, 15 years apart, on the same L2-S1 or L1-S2, I can't remember but definitely feel it)

FINDINGS
There is a likely chronic type 1 fracture of the dens, with an increased T2 signal between the two fracture fragments, likely representing nonunion. There is a posterior translation of the distal fragment on the extension views, which measures approximately 5 mm. There is increased T2 signal, with atrophy of the spinal cord within this region, likely representing myelomalacia. The cerebellar tonsils are well located.

*** Doctor refused ANY pain meds except AFTER surgery. He said that the surgery, IF SUCCESSFUL, would remove 40-60% of my head movement. There is an artery in the way where they have to drill and insert screws. If the artery becomes damaged, it would have to be sealed off causing paralysis and or death. Gave me a neck brace for 300 dollars and told me I need to get the surgery as soon as possible. He said he didn’t care who did it…”…either I can do it or Dr. Parker can”. SO, basically, Good luck, good riddens, and he left the room with me shaking and my wife visually upset. He is a *** that I wouldn’t let cut my toe nails. No compassion, no bedside manner, nothing admirable or special about him…obviously in it for the money….PERIOD!
A man with a broken neck and screwed up back CAN’T get a ** pain pill from a doctor that KNOWS the man is in pain! I SAY **! I am livid about the whole situation and wished I never opened this can of worms. I am only 52…what the heck is my next 10 or 20 years going to be like?
These doctors would prefer you to drink massive amounts of alcohol and buy illegal prescription drugs than to legally prescribe something for a person with PROOF they are in unusual amounts of pain. No wonder the 50 something age group has the HIGHEST percentage of suicides! I haven’t looked at any other options. This Dr. John Johnson pretty much squashed my hopes and desire to proceed with ANY corrective procedure. All I see for myself is a lot of drinking accompanied by anything else that will kill the pain.

SURELY with technology the way it is there is a titanium something that can be SAFELY installed and removed after the cadaver bone stitches. Trying to drill a hole UNDER an artery IS NOT AN OPTION! I am fully mobile now, I simply suffer much pain and sleepless nights. I drink every night to feel better and ......

I don't know how it got broken. I think we were abused as children because my sister, who is now in a wheelchair, had a mysterious broken neck that was not found until she simply couldn't walk anymore. They then found the broken neck which had pinched off her brain stem so long that she is now paralyzed. Our mother committed suicide in 1973 and our father's may as well be dead.

Tell me about my spinal cord bruise please. Please tell me about any other possible options. Please tell me a facility or doctor that ISN'T in it for the money or prestige, that actually WANTS to make a person feel better and enjoy at least a small piece of life.

Just found this forum. Never was one to much read or follow the rules...just warn me and don't kick me out. Obviously I don't have a hugely good regard for doctors that don't care an iota about the Hippocratic Oath....refusing to provide relief within the abilities of the doctor is prescribing to having the patient put themselves in harm's way to obtain that relief from non-medical personnel.
They should be disbarred, or whatever they do to a doctor. I have POSITIVE proof that I am in pain and that there is a medical situation causing the pain however I WAS REFUSED HELP that ONLY he could have provided. I asked him if he would give me about 6 weeks worth of pain meds so I could make arrangements for post operative care (I live out in the country 25 miles) plus other arrangements such as getting my son to school and applying for some disability and etc. 6-9 months in a halo at age 52 is not something you just jump into! BUT NO....NO MEDS FOR YOU!!! ANY doctor that does that under these circumstances should be ______. YOU fill in the blank.

OK, thanks and regards. I WILL read everything written...be it positive or negative. If I am screwed, then just tell me I am screwed....but if someone sees a shimmer of hope, please let me know.

Thank you all.
Serious_Pain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sfink (06-05-2013)