View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Red face stuck in the mud. trying to wade.

Hi.

My life is in stasis and has been for a long time. One might describe me as being in a socioeconomic coma.

I need a JOB. No. I need a REGULAR JOB. I MUST get one.

Oh sure, the economy is dead and rotting here, with unemployment at an alltime high and rising, but think I could find employment as an English language instructor. I say this because larger businesses are still afloat, English is the lingua franca in many business areas nowadays, and employers often send groups of people to learn English or improve it. Individuals also seek English instruction to increase their employability, etc.

=============================================

I am undecided whether to seek certification first, or just go for a job and do the cert later.

After my last experience with the student that drove me nuts, I am to say the least discouraged about taking a teaching position. There is also the fact that most schools require certification. However, most do not require mother tongue instructors; my being a native speaker should buy me some ground.

Still, I would prefer to get certified first, and not just for the marketability. I feel I could use formal language revision and I'd definitely benefit from teacher's training as I've had none. Finally, the certification itself is acquired by passing a standardized exam issued by the University of Cambridge. Getting that official, internationally recognized "pass" grade will affirm me.

A few months ago I was set on doing the course. I downloaded the application form, and filled out most of it. Then "stuff" happened. Last week I fished it out again. It is mostly done but for 2 essays, 350 words minimum each. Normally writing isn't a problem - as you all know from my lengthy posts. In this case however, I feel terrified. I panic about every twisted grammatical error imaginable and imaginary. I worry about accidentally mixing American and British forms, punctuation, EVERYTHING!!!!

The next condensed course starts June 17th. If I got the application in fast, I could possibly make it. The subsequent course is in September and would cause me to miss the fall hiring wave for teachers.

-----------------------------
Problem: I have had a *ton* of migraines these past 4-5 weeks, perhaps due to freaky weather changes. I am concerned that this frequency could persist. This month I had a bad one where 2 Zomigs failed and I needed tramadol. That attack ran 2 days - 2 bedridden days with my eyes covered and earplugs.
-----------------------------

This is where I start having doubts and wonder it might not be better to look for part-time teaching for now/September, even without certification. I could take a diluted course (held on Saturdays) later, while employed. I do worry about the migraines on the job, but if it were only some days a week and/or only a few hours, I might be able avoid absences for the most part. With most migraines I could work medicated for 3-4 hours.

The condensed course in June is 4 days a week, 8 hrs a day, 5 weeks. Mandatory attendance. I could not afford to fail it.

I don't know what to do.

I also keep thinking I need to get those essays done anyway, regardless what I choose to do first. The certification needs to happen at some point and it can't happen without a completed application. I feel ridiculous about not being able to write 2 stupid essays!

I really feel as though I am wading through mud. Thank you for reading. Thoughts welcome.

waves
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (06-04-2013), BlueMajo (06-05-2013), Dmom3005 (06-05-2013), Mari (06-04-2013), mymorgy (06-05-2013)