View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Kathy, you do make me smile in a good way lol!

Just get the damn chair already. Bless you, I think once you have it there you will find that it opens your life up that bit more, and you will get past the initial reaction thing.... I went there and got the t-shirt only this year, and I completely was like you about it. But once you've bitten the bullet and got that first 'outing' over with, it's fine. You just put your chin in the air, smile, and have your Chair Story ready (for when someone you know sees you in it for the first time and asks if something has happened made me grin every time...)

You deserve so much more than you have right now, and the chair is a way to get some of life back. Most of all it gives me back TIME. I actually enjoy shopping again now because I can BROWSE! I'd forgotten how nice it was to wander about considering a purchase, instead of hobbling in on crutches, walking as little distance as possible, grabbing something, hating the queue wait, and getting to the car as quick as possible, feeling like I wanted to burst into tears the whole time.

Having had the chair for a few months, I'm wondering if it isn't the reason I'm having a better time now? I haven't used it or the crutches even for over a month now, and last night I actually went for a short walk with my husband. Haven't tried that for a year... I think it let's me pace activities a lot better, a trip to the shops doesn't mean I'm suffering for two weeks any more.

It's just a tool. Like getting a lawn mower instead of cutting your grass with scissors... As a fab therapist said to me once, your family will get used to it very quickly, friends will be a bit surprised the first time but then will just accept it, acquaintances will perhaps be a little shocked or ask something to start with, but after that first time the people that matter will just see YOU. And screw the rest of society because who cares what they think anyway?!

You are so right about the doctors not thinking sex is important! Observations spot on Anyone who thinks sex isn't important in a relationship clearly hasn't enjoyed the good stuff... Sex might not be what it was now, but as you say, the good ole endorphins do help with the pain and mood for a short while. Plus I like to think of it as valid aerobic exercise!! I have been known to say jokingly "prepare yourself, I need to feel something other than pain, and I want to sleep!"...

Bram

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Djhasty (06-06-2013)