Thread: my son
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momwhocares1 View Post
Funny thing about all that's happen to Ben...It started as a concussion, for weeks, and months, from doctor to doctor to immediate care to emergency rooms, just wonder why nobody saw what the problem was?? I knew something was wrong for Ben would complain and I'd just keep trying but without success. And when and why did it switch from a concussion to a mental disorder? I believe the two problems are connected even though they may be treated as totallly different symptoms. Wanting answers is frustrating. I took off work try to arrange for my son to go to a rehab center.
I'm so sorry that the healthcare system failed you and your son. We've all had our frustrations, as many healthcare professionals and doctors do not understand the brain, and I guess that's also true when it comes to mental health! I was wondering though, does your son have any history of mental illness in his family? If he does, then I might lean towards thinking that the concussion was just the event that triggered his underlying condition, but if there is no history, that just makes me raise my eyebrows little bit and wonder! Granted, this is just my thoughts, as I am in the way an expert!

I'm sure it's all been very frustrating and upsetting for you. How is your son doing now that he is receiving treatment? Has he accepted his diagnosis?

I hope you're holding up under the weight of all this. Do you have family or friends that can help out?

Wishing you well!
I have recovered my cognitive function, and I've overcome severe vertigo through sensory integration therapy. Wellbutrin has helped me escape depression. I have recently had a few stress-related migraines, as well as headaches stemming from eye strain. I'm also dealing with tinnitus, lack of stamina, extreme light sensitivity, and eye pain. Diagnosed with 9 different vision issues: convergence insufficiency, pursuit eye movement deficit, egocentric visual midline shift, photophobia, visual information processing delays, accommodative insufficiency, saccadic eye movement deficit, lack of coordination, and central peripheral visual integration deficit.

*First concussion: October 2010. I was pregnant and got rear ended. I associated my mild PCS symptoms with baby brain and blamed my light sensitivity on allergies and dry eyes.
*Second concussion: December 2011. I hit my head on a wooden beam, saw stars but did not lose consciousness, and I had very disturbing PCS symptoms but didn't go to the doctor.
*Third concussion: August 2012. I caused a car accident as a result of PCS symptoms. Thankfully no one was injured but me. My husband confronted me, and I finally sought help and took medical leave from work. My symptoms worsened, and I developed severe vertigo.
*Fourth concussion: November 2012. I was riding in a car with a friend and we were hit head on by a driver who lost control of her car. I didn't have a big increase in PCS symptoms.
DFayesMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
momwhocares1 (06-06-2013)