Thread: photophobia
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thanks for the warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFayesMom View Post
I've had photophobia since my first concussion 2+ years ago, which is when I started having to wear sunglasses at work to combat the glare of the computer and the fluorescent lighting. I also had my coworkers unscrew the fluorescent lights over my desk and I brought my own lamp from home. It did not get better before my second concussion, and after my second and then my third it only got worse. After my third, I was finally diagnosed with PCS, and I stopped working, which was good because I could only stand to be on the computer for an hour at a time. I stopped driving, so I had to walk to nearby appointments. I had to wear a hat and glasses while walking to avoid headaches.

By end of January, I was up to 4 hours a day on the computer, plus maybe 2 hours on my iPhone. My photophobia had improved, and I felt so confident I was getting better that I started pushing boundaries. I started staying up late on the computer and wouldn't realize how strained my eyes were until I was in serious pain. One day, I woke up and my photophobia and eye strain were so bad that I couldn't even go on a computer at all, and it's been at least three months and haven't really gotten much better. I gave up being on the computer at all about a month ago, and it will probably be another month at least before I try it again. My iPhone bothers me less because it's a smaller light source, so I'm probably on it about two hours today at the most.

That said, I've been making some great leaps in my vision therapy, so even though my photophobia is still pretty bad, I am seeing progress! That gives me hope for the future!

Anyway, don't follow my example! Be nice to your eyes and don't push yourself too hard! I never expected to have this much of a setback.
Thank you for sharing this experience...I am apparently type 'A' and like to push my boundaries, so it is good for me to know that I need to proceed slowly and with care!!
jac3sr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DFayesMom (06-06-2013)