View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 02:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Awww Kathy, you are so welcome

If your upper body strength is ok, and I cannot stress this enough.....GET A WHEELCHAIR YOU CAN PUSH YOURSELF!!!!!

I had an assisted chair to start with (in the very early days) because an OT told me I had to, and it was awful. I used it once, and felt like a lump of meat being shoved around. I hated the lack of control, and not being able to be alone unless I was 'parked up'. I understand that some folk don't have a choice, but I am still relatively young and my arms are in fairly good shape, which I know is a boon.

I rarely go out alone in my self-propelled one, but it means that in a shop (I LOVE big shops now ) I can go where I please, when I please, and not have to wait for someone else to push me there. I love having some time alone in public again, even if it has to be on a nice shiny store floor lol! When you get a bit of speed up it feels fantastic! And the arm exercise is good for you too... If your hands are sensitive I would get spoke-guards, and wear gloves too, at least to start with. It takes a while to build up the arm strength and hand toughness, but it is so worth the early aches and pains. I'd never go back to a pushed one unless I really had to. If you can afford it, ask for a voucher and go to a mobility store and get a lighter-weight one, it makes a big difference. I think we had to pay an extra £120ish on top of the voucher for mine. Even strapped for cash as we are, it was worth it.

When I am out in my chair I smile, I speak confidently to people if I need them to move or get something for me, and everyone has been really nice. I think if you smile and chat and make people feel good then they love to help you, makes them feel good too

You go girl!!! (and not just with the wheelchair ....) Good luck.

Bram

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!

Last edited by Brambledog; 06-06-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Djhasty (06-06-2013)