View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 03:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Response from a newcomer

Hi Greany,
I am new here. I am so sorry for your pain and strange symptoms. I also have many of the symptoms that you have described. I found out recently that I have a fistula in the roof of my mouth, which seems to be draining bacteria from an infection in tooth 15, which had a root canal about 2 years ago. It is next to a dental implant that was placed in 2008. I have had burning/tingling sensations and dull pain in the left side of my face, skull, eyes, and my ear feels full with changes in ear pressure. The fistula is often painful and it leaves a horrible taste and odor in my mouth. My tooth extraction is scheduled for next week, but I keep calling the oral surgeon's office to see if they can book me sooner.

The strange thing is that 2 1/2 years ago, I suddenly lost almost all hearing in my left ear (same side as infected tooth). This was followed by horrible tinnitus (buzzing/whooshing/crickets) that has never left me. I developed sensations of internal vibrations or tremors and learned that I had lost half of my vestibular functioning by tests my ENT did. I also developed these strange mood swings with tearfulness that would appear out of nowhere (no history of this!). After seeing numerous doctors, 9 months later, I was clinically diagnosed with Lyme Disease. My balance is better, but my hearing never came back.

Fast forward... I am now wondering if there is a connection between my hearing loss, tinnitus and this tooth infection. Also wondering if lyme disease lowered my immune system resulting in the infection or perhaps the other way around. I had multiple dental issues in the 2 years before my hearing loss and cascade of new symptoms. The tests for lyme disease are not very accurate, unfortunately, and there are many false negatives. That is what we figured out had happened in my case. Greany, I know our situations are totally different, but some of the symptoms we have are in common. I hope you will find some relief soon. You may want to get tested for Lyme disease by a lyme literate doctor if your symptoms continue, because it can mimic many diseases...

Bryanna, you are wonderful and I am in awe of your knowledge and thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing so much important information. I hope that I can start a post soon so I can discuss my upcoming oral surgery and this scary infection.
dbpei is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (06-07-2013)