View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredGal View Post
Hi all ,, I am sure this topic has been run into the ground but it's new old ground to me , I need to have 4 molars repaired and the thought of the needle has me so so stressed out that it sent me to the ER , so a normal Dentist is not going to happen , no way no how , so I went to see a sedation dentist , that helped to ease the stress by about 5% , just talking to him I was on the verge of passing out , I guess I am like most cowards, last dentist visit was 47 years ago , age 13 , reason for not going back , fear beyond belief , total torture , amazing how all that fear came back when I saw a dentist chair last week for the first time in all those years , I was 13 once again like it was yesterday and I passed out , as it stands now I am at wits end , the dentist said I have 6 months to a year left if I want to save the molars and I so want to save them but at the same time I could just let them go , but I can't do that , HELP !!! , one Scared Gal
I think it's normal to be scared of a place where pain can occur. I mean, it's your body, you want to protect it. That's a primal thing. No one actually likes the dentist, and if they do, well..

That written, the best way to be treated if you are anxious, particularly if you are really anxious (and, you know, as you put things off/build them up in your head, you're going to create more anxiety, more than the situation is ever worth) it's best to be sedated. When you're sedated, your brain WILL be relaxed. You will not have fear, your body will respond calmly, which is ideal, and will result in a trauma-free experience. It's science.

I am not crazy about the dentist. The next time that I go for anything like an extraction/root canal, I'll probably be sedated.

You are safe, and it will be okay. The relief that you will feel when you have taken care of your tooth issues should be great.
greany79 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bryanna (06-07-2013), ginnie (06-07-2013)