View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 07:43 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy56 View Post
"... My PCP wants to put me on a statin...He says I have high cholesterol. My NM doc has deferred this to him. Sandy
Hello Sandy It's a great question. As you can see from the posts, this is a tough nut! I'm going to generalize (and surmise)...

Your neuro has handed this to your PCP. The PCP has all your medical information and will follow you, closely. Deferring is the standard here. Let him tell you first, what he has planned for you, with special attention to what he says about statins and Myasthenia. I would find it hard to believe that your PCP wouldn't check this, but it does happen. With regard to "high" cholesterol, you might ask him to define "high" for you.

Plenty of myasthenics take this drug, successfully, and some do not. Unfortunately, doctors can't predict into which category we will fall. I know, I know, it's the old, "we are all different..." It also boils down to risk-taking which is a very, personal choice, and often, not quite as difficult a decision for seasoned myasthenics who have a good understanding of their symptoms.

Ultimately, this is a decision that you will have to make.

Welcome to the world of "who knows...?"
Fortunatos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sandy56 (06-07-2013), southblues (06-14-2013)