View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 04:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

TenaLouise
I dont want to get into an all out argument, because I believe that anyone is entitled to his or her opinion. But I do want to bring some interesting information to the surface about the author of the report you quoted.

Gary Null, PhD can be found in the reliable Quackwatch information. I will just show you an excerpt here - you can read the entire report on your own:

Null is prone to see conspiracies behind many of the things he is concerned about. One of his targets has been the pharmaceutical industry, which, he says, "cannot afford to have an alternative therapy accepted." He promotes hundreds of ideas that are inaccurate, unscientific, and/or unproven. He calls fluoridation "deadly" and has spoken out against immunization, food irradiation, amalgam fillings, and many forms of proven medical treatment. His series on "The Politics of Cancer," which was published in Penthouse magazine in 1979 and 1980, promoted unproven methods that he said were being "suppressed" by the medical establishment. His lengthy series, "Medical Genocide," began appearing in Penthouse in 1985 with an article calling our medical care system a "prescription for disaster" and claiming that modern medicine has had virtually no effect on heart disease, cancer, and arthritis [1]. Other articles in the series promoted chiropractic and homeopathy, claimed that effective nutritional methods for treating AIDS were being suppressed, claimed that chelation therapy was safe and effective for treating heart disease, and endorsed several treatments for cancer that the American Cancer Society recommends against. His Web site contains a huge amount of misinformation and bad advice.
source: http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/null.html

I was speaking to a patient group in Germany this past summer about the trial I participated in. There was a neurologist in the crowd who made the comment that "this trial requires invasive surgery, so entering it is risky." I was quick to respond, "Living with Parkinson's is risky, too."

We have used levadopa (L-dopa - with carbidopa - Sinemet brand name) as the gold standard for 40+ years now. Yes, it works well - but it has major side effects when used as long-term therapy. I have had PD for 12 years - and I can still function pretty well. But my clock is ticking. And I guess what motivates me to help find better treatments is knowing that my children or grandchildren may get this disease.

True, the clinical trial process has flaws, but it's still safer than some of these foreign countries where anything is allowed and may end up costing the participant a load of money. It is up to us to monitor the trial process and keep things on the up and up. This is one of the functions of the Parkinson Pipeline Project.

Instead of boycotting the drug and treatment approval process, why not work with those responsible to improve it?
Peggy
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote