View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 12:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Tricky one to be honest

I did a lot of reading about heat and flying in the last few months as we were planning a 'proper' holiday this year for a special birthday (normally we stay in the uk). I must admit that I was put off the idea of flying when a friend of mine (with CRPS) had issues with pain from the pressure changes, and we ended up looking at the land options, ie trains and boats...it's amazing the places you can still go

We ended up going for a holiday within a decent boat trips distance, but we could have got to Italy in a day by train as well, which surprised us. Most of Europe is fairly easy to get to by train, and the costs are pretty reasonable - and the trains nicer/more punctual!

I'm not saying you shouldn't go by plane, especially if it's already paid for and your mum is looking forward to it. But be prepared for her to spend at least a day getting over the flight, and she will need to take extra pain meds all the day that you travel, and extra in case she needs it during the week.

I am ok in the sun as long as its not too hot, and I cover up. I use high factor sun cream, and wear light loose clothing over it. I can't risk burning, and my skin isn't keen on direct sun for long. Similarly, clothes help to minimise pain from breezes on my skin, which sounds insane, but is a common CRPS symptom.

Going on holiday is definitely a high stress activity for us I think. There are so many things to think of, and being away from your own home and environments that you know about is worrying too. Add to that the expectations people have, that you might not be able to live up to, and it can make enjoying ourselves even more tricky! We always try , but expect your mum to be anxious when doing anything new or going somewhere different.

I'm sure you will still have a lovely holiday, but sit down with your mum and ask her what aspects of the holiday she is worried about, and what you can do to help. It will reassure her and I promise you she will really appreciate you thinking it through from her point of view!! It's tricky being the one with the health problem - try as you might, you do feel that you are the squeaky wheel spoiling others' fun

Bram.

Coeliac since 2007.
Patella femoral arthritis both knees.

Keep smiling!
Brambledog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Djhasty (06-09-2013)