View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I have to say... blech on Dr. Oz.

Most people have terrible diets... just terrible.

Example: do you know how many people use ACE inhibitors?
Well millions and millions because they are now first line for blood pressure control. Well ACE inhibitors deplete ZINC...
And so do water pills (diuretics, estrogens (from HRT or birth control), and steroids.

Vegans cannot absorb zinc well, because of the phytates in the veggies complex zinc and make it unavailable for absorption.
Zinc is not typically therefore a problem in a vitamin tablet.

The magnesium in a multivitamin is magnesium stearate...this is not soluble and not absorbed. It is a lubricant to make pressing the tablets easier and less sticky in the machines. It does not count as a nutrient.

I think you are a bit confused about "metal" and mineral. A mineral is often a metal, but when in the metallic state it is not soluble and not absorbed by the body, unless solubilized by
body acids.

Minerals are often cofactors in various enzymes. They can only be absorbed as ions, and when in ionic state they are not metals.
Metals are a solid state form of an inorganic molecule.
It is estimated that about 70% of Americans are low in magnesium. It is a serious deficiency.

Zinc deficiency has been found in ADHD children:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16190794

Zinc deficiency in the elderly:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8353362

Dr. Oz's guests advocate many things... he had a show once with a doctor advocating HCG for dieting! (because his wife used it).

I won't watch him anymore...he often doesn't even understand what he talks about, and will contradict himself later in the show on the subject. He once told a woman on his show about low D levels to eat more mushrooms! (mushrooms have D2 in them and this does little or nothing). Dr. Oz is not good for MY blood pressure most days! LOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (06-08-2013), Vowel Lady (06-09-2013)