View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 01:12 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I think it really depends a lot on the following:

1. What types of things usually cause her flares? Just like anywhere else she needs to try and avoid triggers for pain flare ups and that can be harder on vacation...but not impossible.

2. Flying, going through the airport, travel in general can be very difficult and cause flare ups. It is important to make sure you are as prepared as possible for things like going through security, anticipating increased pain on the flight, pre-boarding the plane (I always ask once I get to the gate and we check my walker and I board before everyone else so I don't get bumped), try to get a window seat so she's less likely to get bumped, ask for a wheelchair at the airport if she doesn't have her own so that it's just that much less stress on her, bring a pillow and blanket for the plane ride to help make her comfortable, make sure you have all meds, etc. Lots of planning is involved but it can make a HUGE difference in how the rest of the vacation goes so it is worth it.

3. Just like with the actual travel...she needs to carefully plan out her time while on vacation. I don't mean down to the second planning of where she will be when...but more planning how they will use the time. Like a day of sightseeing, followed by a relaxing day at the resort or a beach day, etc. Balance is the key. She also needs to be realistic and honest with herself about her limitations. Don't let her push herself to the point of misery...stop before she gets there and don't let that get her down.

4. If she has difficulty walking (not sure if the RSD is just in her arm or elsewhere), keep in mind that she may or may not need a wheelchair/scooter on a day to day basis but on vacation it can be worth considering just so she doesn't overdo it and is still able to participate. So if you are traveling somewhere that maybe you can have a rental scooter or wheelchair delivered to (again...if she doesn't have her own since I don't know the details) then that might be something to look in to especially if they plan on doing a lot of sightseeing or walking around.

5. If being out in the sun is an issue, try to have back up plans on places they can go and visit that are indoors or have indoor retreats where she can go if the sun gets to be too much. I don't have issues with the sun with my RSD...BUT one of my meds reacts badly in too much heat. I know this and have to plan accordingly so that I am not overheated at all. This can be tricky...but try and do as much research as possible about places they are going to visit so that you already have plans in place on what to do if she has any problems.

6. Plan to bring layers of clothing for whatever situation you might see. Even when I go to warm places I have to wear pants and long sleeves because when it's hot OUTSIDE...it's usually cold INSIDE because people have the A/C cranked up...and the A/C is bad news for me and will trigger a flare if I am not dressed properly.

So don't avoid the vacation. It might sound like a lot of work but prepping on the front end can mean she will still get to enjoy a wonderful, relaxing vacation with minimal pain. We cannot stop living our lives and live in fear of our RSD. We have serious limitations and things we need to consider for our health...but at least for me I will not let my RSD hold me back. Can I do all the things I would have done prior to RSD? No...but I can still enjoy myself and have a good time on vacation. Your mom can too...but she just needs to be prepared and have plans in place for worst case scenario. And you know...when you are prepared for the worst it rarely ever happens...it's when you aren't prepared for it that it usually slaps you in the face and kicks you in the rear. Or at least that's how it always seems to me...
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (06-08-2013), Djhasty (06-09-2013)