View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsSake
Thanks, Doc. I appreciate the sentiment and advice.

Owen is pushing 17 years old, but he's nowhere near ready to take his exit.
When his time comes, I'll do the right thing for him. It sucks, but I've done it for half a dozen friends in my adult life.
Then you are probably aware that with dogs (and cats) they're often healthy and active right up until close to the end, then can go downhill very fast -- within a few months/weeks. Several Vets have told me that when something like this happens, they (the pets) are usually closer than we think. I think this may be a good thing -- they don't linger.
Self Pity
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
~D.H. Lawrence
There is some information on google, but I'll caution you that the prognosis is dim.

Quote:
Surgery is not an option; and rehab treatment focuses on strengthening, range of motion, positioning, nutrition, owner support and education, and carts and slings if needed.
It sounds like you're already doing all that can be done.

Give him extra love, but steel yourself. It's a personal decision, but when the time comes, I/we've done better when moving on and adopting another dog immediately/asap.

Best wishes,

Doc

PS (06-09-13, 12:05am) I spoke about Owen and his condition with a veterinarian friend earlier this evening. Unfortunately, all she could offer was to confirm what's already been said.

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 06-08-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: PS
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote