View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Sally,

Quote:
My son's neuro explained that one O band would be considered normal in the absense of the abnormal VER and the weakness in his legs.
I have never heard this but since I am not a Dr. I can't argue the point

Quote:
his exact words were "I'd be willing to bet this is an MS variant".
The link I provided on ADEM is considered a MS variant. Be cautious --- MS variants are known for being worse than MS

Quote:
I will be taking my son to a pediatric MS center on July 15th
That is great news!

Quote:
Fortunately, my son seems to be bouncing back from this episode, his gait is still a little unsteady in the morning, but I have a feeling that he will be back to normal soon. Now I'm debating about whether or not to have him go through with the five days of steroid treatment, if the child is getting better on his own, why subject him to it?
As I said in a previous post --- go with your mother's instinct If he has MS it is not uncommon for symptoms or what is known as an exacerbation (relapse, attack, flare-up) to resolve without steroids...for some.

Quote:
Snoopy, you said you had symptoms of MS as a child and you weren't taken to a doctor. What symptoms were you having at that time? I'm assuming they subsided after awhile, then caught up with you again in your early 20's?
I was simply termed a hypochondriac by a parent who felt a doctor was not needed. So, I grew up believing what I experienced was normal and everyone felt like I did.

When I had a severe exacerbation at 24 years old and was diagnosed with MS everything I experienced as a child made sense.

As a kid:

I would walk into other people (I could not walk a straight line), falling was normal and sometimes daily. My balance was horrible and still is to this day.

Trouble riding a bike --- I had muscle tone but my legs were weak. I could not pick my feet up to clear the ground. I would usually slide or shuffle my feet.

Urinary sensations ---- it felt like I was leaking urine but I was dry.

Heat intolerance --- I was unable to be outside very long in the heat which made it difficult to do things with friends.

My legs would ache --- this started at about 15 years old, well past what some call "growing pains."

I meet my husband at the age of 18. We went shopping and when I stepped off the curb my leg gave out and I feel.
Lara (06-09-2013), sallymanda (06-08-2013)