View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hello-first post small fiber neuropathy-Glennt and Mrs D?

Hello All,
Thank you for this forum-I have learned so much from all the knowledgable members.
I'm a 57 year old healthy female and who was diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy via punch skin biopsy November 2012. I have a 17 year history of progressive pain in hands and feet. Two years ago I went to a rheumatologist who was the first person who labeled it as neuropathy. This year the pain increased especially during hurricane sandy when my feet became so numb it was difficult to walk. Thanks to this forum I visited Dr.Latov in an attempt to find a cause. Like many others after extensive testing my SFN was deemed idiopathic.
The only abnormally high lab value was Vitamin B6 which came in at 30.8 (normal high is 21.7). I was not taking any supplements or vitamins. Latov was dismissive of this. B12 was normal at 572.
Past medical history:
Irritable Bowel-recently better by following a low fodmap diet
16 year history of using birth control pills ( stopped 10 years ago)
The biggest trigger is the weather-during the fall my symptoms are the worst. I would welcome some feedback/impressions/advice from the group especially Glennt and Mrs. D. I have recently started on the recommended supplements of Vit B12, Rlipoic acid, acetyl l carnitine and benfotiamine.
By the way, although mostly normal my a1c and cholesterol have been creeping up. I have never had a glucose tolerance test but think I it would probably be abnormal. Thanks so much.
nycgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote