Old 05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMarie View Post
Mari,
The kind that make cookies, pies, took day trips to swim and parks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMarie View Post
Maybe make a lsit of the good points of your Mom. Does she keep a clean home, visit shut ins, give to bake sales, help you spring clean, There must be something positive?
Did she ever help you with a school event, or make a dress, buy a special dress, send birthday cards she picked out just for you...the unspoken way to communicate between mother and dauther.

Dear Di,

You write beautifully about mothers.
My mother does all those things you mention. She was a stay at home mom until I was a teenager. Dad was away in the military. ...So half the time, we had no dad with us.
And she did pass on a sense of independence. I am grateful for that.
She is educated but had a horrible childhood that she doesn't talk about.
When her mother was dying in the hospital for two months, she did not get on a plane to go visit her and her brothers and sisters.

Well, and my mother never helped me with spring cleaning.
I moved away when I was 17.

When I was out of a job because of bipolar she and Dad sent me rent money so that I would have a place to stay. They kept sending the money even after I got some low paying jobs.

I guess I have many memories with my mother but none of them are happy ones. She was trying hard to stay sane herself -- and she mostly accomplished that.

She passed onto me a huge sense of responsility and a need to take care of people -- I've been trying to shake this since my early 20s and making some progress.

I'm sad. And I am sad that I can't explain very well what is wrong right now. I do have some happy memories from childhood -- they involve my sister and brothers.

Perhaps I am freaking out because Dad says that they might visit me on Labor Day weekend in Sept. The last time they visited me about 15 years was not so good.
I saw them at their place last summer with hubby. The visit was so bad that I decided not to go back.

You are kind to write to me in the midst of your own trials.

M.