Thread: thanks
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisba View Post
bluestone, when you say you are not getting much support, is it your family that is not providing you with the support you need? That can make a bad situation worse. I've fortunately always been able to count on the help and understanding of my family. Just as a suggestion, why don't you investigate some of the useful sites in the sticky at the head of the MG forum. One in particular that might help is http://www.myasthenia.org.au/html/lifestyle.htm
You might even try printing off the info if you can, and share it with the ones who seem to be lacking in support. It will give them a better understanding of what you are dealing with, and help them to see that this is not all in your head, or something you are making up to get attention, or any of the many other misconceptions people can have about myasthenics. The unfortunate thing about MG is that others really cannot see your fatigue, or feel the ache of tired muscles. Once our loved ones are a little more clued in to the symptoms we display, they can begin to pick up on things: the sad, tired droop to the face, the 'half-mast eyelids', the tendency to choke, the way we start walking slower and slower the farther we go, the voice that gets softer or threadier, or even gives out altogether. Or any one of many other symptoms.
Hugs,
Lois,
I read this text on lifestile and many others from MGA, MGFA, etc. One of the first things I have done when I entered this forum was check this stick and read the ones that I didn't know. When I discovered that I had MG, I started to search in the internet about this disease and for my surprise, there are almost nothing in portuguese (my native language) for people who are not doctors or medicine students. (English is not fluent for many people in my country and Spanish is very different from Portuguese). For my closest friends, for example, who are helping me many times, it's hard to understand MG and I'm the one who is trying to write something not so technical in our language. I hope I am able to do this because it would help others with the same problem.
My family is not close to me and sometimes the wish is to have the support from it.
Hugs
bluestone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote