View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi asmitty,

The oral surgeon cannot and should not guarantee the outcome of the bone graft. The outcome depends on several factors:

One... the health of the jaw bone. The bacteria is not always visible as it can be microscopic.

Two... the surgery has to be done under extreme sterile conditions. No contamination can occur or it can compromise the outcome.

Three... your immune system has to be healthy enough to turn over the bone into your own bone and heal properly.

Even if you wait to do the sinus lift and then the graft.... the above factors all hold true for that outcome as well.

No the sinus lift is a separate fee from the bone graft.

I know... not an easy decision. However, for future reference... if the tooth had not been root canaled and had been extracted instead.... none of this would be a concern because the bone would be healthy and more favorable to a bone graft.

It's interesting to me when someone delves deep into this research.... and you certainly have! Are you in the healthcare field or some biology/chemistry profession to know where and how to seek the information??

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmitty View Post
Thanks for the clarification, everything is clear now.

I'm thinking that I'll call the oral surgeon tomorrow and ask him if he can guarantee that the bone graft will both work and provide enough depth for an implant in the future....

I get the feeling he probably won't want to make any guarantees, so I might as well wait and get a sinus lift down the road. Does that sound reasonable to you?

By the way, do you happen to know if the cost of a sinus lift includes a bone graft as well?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote