Thread: IV Steriods
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I have never taken IVSM for pain. I really don't think I would either. I have had them for MS exacerbations though. I think it would be rare if you came across an MS patient that has never had IVSM for their MS.

While they work to some extent, they are not an immediate fix and sometimes they don't work at all. I have never had a pleasant experience with them and avoid them if at all possible. 2012 was my lucky year and I got to do them twice (once as an inpatient and once on an outpatient basis). Even with having them, it still took me a while to get through the flares and I still had/have pain. I do, however, have great respect for them and reserve them for times when I really need them like losing my vision, anything with my eyes. I value their usefulness and know, as much as I hate them, that for me they may shorten my exacerbations.

There are long term and short term side effects and these are something that you would have to consider when deciding whether or not you are going to do the IV 'roids. Also, if you are not in an exacerbation, chances are your dr. is not going to prescribe them for you, at least a knowledgeable neuro wouldn't. Heck, my neuro won't prescribe them if it's a spinal lesion flare as they have not proven to be effective at all during a spinal exacerbation. So really think about and do your homework on them before you jump in.

If your issue is just pain and not an exacerbation, talk to your neuro about medications that may work better for you than what you are taking. Also, as mrsD mentioned, be sure it is not the medication that is causing the pain and/or symptoms. Sometimes medicines that are supposed to help us cause other issues. Work with your dr on coming up with a good medication regime. Also, discuss PT with your dr. PT can do wonders for us MSers as can other CAMs.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (06-11-2013)