View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I'll try to help

At L4-5 a central and right paracentral disc herniation compressing the thecal sac. The thecal sac is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord and cauda equina and is filled with cerebral spinal fluid. The nerve roots are also being compressed.

There is rear migration of the disc seen up to the L5 level causing compression of right nerve roots.

Posterocentral disc herniation at L5-S1 compressing thecal sac (see above) and nerve roots.

There is evidence of disc dessication at L4-5 and L5-S1. Disc dessication means drying out of the discs. This is normal and happens with age --everyone gets it and there is no way to prevent it. When the discs dry out the tend to flatten, and that makes them bulge/herniate.

Loss of signal of nucleus pulposus - "signal" is the basis of activity in individual neurons, the measure of activity in nerve cells.

Marginal Osteophytes -- these are bone spurs.
Mild ligamentem flavum - this is an overgrowth of tissue
There is a "note" made of a lipoma, which is a tumor of fatty tissue, and it's on the "thread-like" portion of the spinal cord below the origin of the lumbar nerves.

I hope I've clarified things a little. This does NOT look like a surgical event to me, but you should have her take these films and have them seen by a NEUROSURGEON ONLY FOR AN OPINION. Do NOT jump into surgery. Like I said, I really don't think this is a surgical event. But if a Neurosurgeon DOES mention surgery, then get 2 MORE opinions from 2 different Neurosurgeons as you never take one doctors opinion, especially when dealing with your spine!!!

Also please know that spinal surgery is only for Mechanics. It is not for pain. Most of the time you're left with the same pain or worse. Then you have to deal with what is called the "Domino Effect" and that is where the levels above/below the surgery site fail! So then you need another surgery, and again, the levels above/below THAT surgery site fail. It's a vicious circle.

I wish you the very best. PLEASE let us know how your Mom makes out, will you? We'd really like to know. God bless and please take care. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
shub90 (06-11-2013)