View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

"We don't think you have a brain injury" is a classic tell to the biases they have. This is bull. The injury is real. They may be able to isolate different symptoms as not brain injury oriented. OK. But, don't treat the person with the idea their other symptoms are not due to a brain injury.

Therapists tend to view everything from within their own skill set. Psychs say your problem is psychological. PT's say you just need their physical therapy. Athletic trainers say you need to get back to conditioning and work through your symptoms.

I am fortunate. I have had 3 neuropsych assessments that had the same results years apart. I have had 3 different qEEGs years apart that show the same injury.

My improvements have been due to my skill at learning work-arounds and coping skills. My brain is damaged and static. I do have some limited 'healings.' But, when under stress, I am usually back to square one. Fortunately, I have never had any serious vestibular problems. Just an occasional need to slow down to get my balance.

I go on as if I have no injury but am always ready to stop and change course because a symptom has popped up and gotten in the way. I move around that symptom or take some time for quiet rest and then I go on. I just don't rely on a fabulous memory like I used to have. I don't get down if I can't process a mental calculation. I get a calculator and/or pencil and paper.

If this brain injury out patient clinic can help, it does not validate their claim that you do not have a brain injury. The problem with 'you are not brain injured' is it puts an undue strain on the patient psychologically. The patient takes on stress as they blame their symptoms on this 'non-injury' causation.

When you are told this bologna, just nod and move on. Try to use any support and therapy they offer for the gains it provides.

We also must remember the meaning of 'brain injured' in their perspective. The TBI patient may have been comatose or needed to relearn motor functions, speech, or other obvious disabilities. When they are able to function on their own, they are often considered rehabilitated. Their rehabilitated state is often where we as the concussion injured are starting. Compared to those severe TBI patients, we do not have signs of a brain injury.

They consider the patient rehabbed when they have achieved a standardized plateau of function. Improvements beyond that point will often be very slow at coming.

The problem is the rehab therapist has hit their limit, not that the patient has healed.

We see this daily when doctors say that we are OK.

Just don't get stuck in a pity party. It does not help us move forward.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussion (06-11-2013), MsRriO (06-11-2013), NormaW (06-11-2013), Su seb (06-11-2013), Virginia in Canada (06-11-2013)