View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneyln View Post
Dkight I have the same thing and cannot holdout very long to walk anywhere.
I am at the point where I am holding on to everything I walk by cause I am scared I am going to hit the ground with every step I take. I am 39 at this time and still walking without a walker but seems like it would safer to used one then take a chance on falling and hurting myself. I have a girl friend that wants me to go on a cruise with her but it's kinda scary thought because I'm not sure about my condition will be a year from now. Feel free to email me if you like I am on facebook as rodneyln ( Rodney NeeSmith ) Georgia
Hi Rodney, I'm from South Africa and was diagnosed with Cerrebellar Ataxia Type 1 in October last year. This is a family disease and there are quite a few of my generation who have had it or has it. With regards to your question re travel, I have an older brother who has this disease too (+/- 5 years now) and last year for his and his wife's 60th birthday, they flew to Turkey and then went on a cruise. They were gone for 6 weeks. He usually uses a walker, but on the cruise chose to use a wheel chair, and apparently, both the airline and cruise staff were superb! My brothers' comment when they came back: I had so many excuses about being a 'burden' and such things, but I wouldn't have missed this for the world.! So there you go, go out and enjoy yourself whilst you can still walk around without a walker - just be careful as you have been doing!
Ashanti is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote