Thread: Hello new to MG
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 03:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefnh View Post
Hello I would like to introduce myself, my name is Joe from New Hampshire and am a recently diagnosed new patient with MG.

My first observation....it's scary loosing control over parts of your body

It seems that I have had some minor symptoms of MG in my legs, feet, voice and breathing for about a year and things went out of control just about 8 weeks ago with a lot of weakness and breathing problems (not a crisis) including double vision for the first time. This led me to my ophthalmologist and then to a neurologist. After blood tests, CT scan, a tensilon test and a trial of mestinon, I was Dxd with MG without a thyoma.

I am considered serum negative most likely due to the fact that I have already been on a modest dose of Imuran for about 3 years for Crohns and Colitis. The Imuran would suppress any clinical measurements of the antibodies during a blood test. I had a very strong positive reaction to the Mestinon but do find it quite tough on my GI system. I wonder if there any hints or tips on how to tolerate the GI side effects.

The plan for now has been to take the Mestinon (4 - 6 tabs 60mg per day), increase the dosage and hopefully blood levels of Imuran and I had my first 5 days of IVIG last week (Gammunex-C 2gm/kg). The hope is that the IVIG will buy me time until the Imuran can build up to its new strength, hopefully controlling the MG a bit more. I was surprised at how much the IVIG wiped me out though as the week went on, it took a couple of days to bounce back, but I am seeing signs of improvement and I just finished the series last Friday.

Overall right now I'm a but overwhelmed and frankly scared of what I have read and experienced so far. I notice a lot of the members talking about a thymectomy but I do not see them discuss a thyoma. Why would the healthy thymus need to be removed?

This really does seem to be a good site with a lot of experience and information.

Joe

Hi Joe
welcome
I am new MG and this forum as well. I was diagnosed in early May. I started with blurred and double vison 9 months ago. I am on prednisone and mestinon only right now and my symptoms are pretty mild. I am having some more general symptoms now. I have found much information and support here. Take some time to read the older posts as well and don't be afraid to ask questions
Sandy
sandy56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Fortunatos (06-11-2013), Online User (06-11-2013)