Thread: Pantethine
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 09:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for bringing this to my attention again. I meant to look into it furhter and possibly try it, but I forgot.

Here's a bit from LEF magazine in 2000:

Quote:
Pantothenic acid, also known as vitamin B5, is a little-publicized key nutrient for neuroprotection. Pantothenic acid is converted in our bodies into pantethine, which in turn serves as a substrate for the synthesis of Coenzyme A (CoA). CoA improves brain function by promoting the synthesis of acetylcholine. Metabolites of CoA enhance brain metabolism and energy production through its essential role in the Krebs cycle. The more energy brain cells have, the better they can function in signal transmission, as well as repair themselves and defend against free radicals. Another indirect contribution of pantothenic acid to brain health stems from the fact that CoA improves the metabolism of the heart muscle and lowers serum lipids, thus improving blood flow to the brain. Yet another benefit of pantothenic acid is the increased formation of acetylcholine in the intestines. This intestinal acetylcholine enhances peristalsis (rhythmic intestinal motion), thus preventing constipation and facilitating elimination. Faster peristalsis also means less complete digestion of food, helping prevent obesity.

An increased susceptibility to infections, fatigue and decreased ability to cope with stress could indicate a deficiency of pantothenic acid. This important B vitamin has been shown to help in wound healing, arthritis, building immune antibodies and lowering the toxicity of many antibiotics.

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote