View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 11:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree with Mark and Mokey.

We need to let go of other people's label of what's "wrong" with us, whenever possible. Who needs it, really? Does knowing what exact strain of virus you have make you any less sick? In the same way, let go of what doesn't sit "true" to you and focus on minimizing symptoms, and using work-arounds for the lingering symptoms.

I liken it to "dumping the cache" of what the latest professional has said that filled my head with self doubt.

I was there when I hit my head to pavement. They weren't. I suffered a brain injury. They didn't. Nearly 8 months later I'm still feeling its effects. No one can take that and minimize it. It is my truth.

I will use "them" (professional supports) when they are useful to me. Otherwise I dump their nonsense from my brain. Particularly if their opinion does not affect your return to work or your insurance coverage, then it has little impact and is worthless.

I refuse to believe that we PCS'ers suffer depression or anxiety due to emotional reaction or adjustment to the injury, as many professionals lead us to believe or insist to be true. I firmly believe that those symptoms are physiological, directly linked to tissue damage, and we are left to cope with them. Either way, we are left to cope. So who's "right" doesn't exactly matter and is currently impossible to prove.

I can't wait for the day (and it will come) that the dark ages of brain injury are over. I may be in my nineties (if God wills it) when the diagnostic tools are finally sophisticated enough to detect and "prove" what we've all experienced.

Until then, validated or not, I must cope and discipline my thoughts.
About it: October 26, 2012 I fell backward on an icy parking lot at work. I was on Workers Comp for 9 months. My PCS : everyday headaches became once in a while headaches, and neck pain became manageable. Still have occasional mild dizziness, sometimes fullness in the ears, convergence insufficiency, sequencing struggles, short term memory struggles, verbal processing delays. CT neg, MRI neg. Therapies: prism glasses, acupuncture, icing neck, resting, supplementing, Elavil 20mg at bedtime.

NEW: Completed 12 weeks of physical therapy and returned to work full time.

About me: I'm a marketing manager, a mom with a blended family and wife to a heart attack survivor. I believe my brain injury taught me more than it cost me. I'm grateful to still be me!
MsRriO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mokey (06-12-2013), NormaW (06-14-2013), poetrymom (06-14-2013), Su seb (06-12-2013)