View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 10:13 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

First of all, Thank you for the quick replies. It's good to know that people care.
I still don't know when to say OK to the surgery. I'm very pain tolerant, but not very tolerant of the other symptoms I have. The muscle twitching in my arms, hands cramping and reduced sensory input from fingers, along with clumsiness in my hands (dropping things, can't move small objects between fingers) is driving me crazy. The electric shock down my arms no longer needs a forceful cough, it sometimes happens with clearing my throat. Sneezes are unbearable. I have also recently developed occasional weakness in my hips and right leg while walking, but my Primary Doc wants to rule out circulation problems for that. He hasn't seen the most recent MRI report, yet. I'm not sure why, but I think it got lost in his office as it was sent to him. I'll take copies with me on my next visit.
I understand the domino effect as I've dealt with back problems for over 20 years. I had laminectomies on L4 and L5 along with discectomys at L4-5 and L5-S1 back in 1991(no fusion). I now deal with those discs being re-herniated and L3-4 joining in. I also have a large herniation at T11-12 which may be related to that. My T7-8 disc is totally gone (ruptured), with major osteophytes formed on the endplates and facets and bone marrow edema totally encompassing T7, the caudal 2/3 of T8 and up into the pedicle of T6. As I said, my spine is a trainwreck.
That's the main reason I'm hesitant to get the ACDF. I don't think the rest of my spine can handle the added load. Otherwise, I'd get it done immediately to try to prevent as much permanent nerve damage as possible. I already deal with permanent muscle atrophy in my left hand due to not getting a pinched ulnar nerve treated soon enough. I'm really confused on which way to go.
Bipe Flyer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (06-12-2013), ginnie (06-14-2013), sfink (06-12-2013)