View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi socasusie,

I am in the dental field and have assisted on thousands of tooth extractions. I have also personally had teeth extracted.

Teeth teeth can be a bit tricky to remove if the tooth is fractured as it may break off and need to be removed in sections. However this is a common occurrence and seen every day in dentistry. It is imperative that the oral surgeon debride the socket thoroughly to remove the periodontal ligament and any visible necrotic tissue and bone. If the socket is not debrided thoroughly, you could have complications in dealing with residual infection. NEVER assume that the dentist is going to perform the debridement. You can read several posts on here about patients who had problems because of that not being done.

I always encourage dental patients to make it clear to the surgeon that you expect the socket to be debrided thoroughly to reduce the risk of complications due to residual infection. Informed patients who verbalize this concern are without a doubt treated differently and more thoroughly by dentists who normally do not debride the socket.

Regarding having a molar extracted.... I personally have had 4 second molars extracted to allow my wisdom teeth to come in. These teeth were all removed at different times throughout my life. I only had problems with one which was when I was 12 yrs old and my dentist broke the tooth resulting in me having to see the oral surgeon. But the OS removed it without a problem.

I also encourage people to see oral surgeons for their tooth extractions as they are best equipped to perform this type of dentistry.

Hope this information was helpful to you! All the best to you

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by socasusie View Post
Ok, I have to get my first molar (I believe it's number 30) extracted. The tooth has a previous root canal and it hurts when I chew. I'm opting for extraction vs trying to "save" it, and we'll do an implant as soon as we can-now of they're no sign on infection when it's extracted, or later if there is. The tooth is slightly loose-I think it's actually cracked, but regardless I don't want it in my mouth.

I have had my front teeth extracted, and it wasn't too bad. I've had another lower molar extracted and it was horrible. But I was younger then, and too nervous to speak up and say it hurt.

Overall, how hard is a 1st molar extraction? Has anyone had that done while awake? I am wondering how hard it is? I'd appreciate any experiences, and how long it took to recover. Thanks!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote