View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBatman View Post
I am not sure how similar this is to what is done for folks with certain types of cancers, but if it is, it can be pretty extreme for a while. My sister had a friend that had her immune system basically killed and replaced with cells from a healthy donor. it was a very long and involved process during which she was at high risk for even very basic types of infections. She had a number of rejection complications and other issues during the recovery. She now has a different blood type and has to get all her childhood vaccinations again. I can see this being a good option for folks with progressive varieties of MS, but for those with very mild symptoms and not much disability, its seems a bit extreme.
In this particular trial the immune system is left intact and so not as dangerous as previous treatments where they kill your immune system then reboot it. This one they take out white cells, alter them, and reinject them into your blood stream so that your body starts slowly seeing myelin as normal and nonthreatening... like it's supposed to.

I still wonder why our bodies suddenly decide myelin is foreign and attack it in the first place?
Juniebear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (06-13-2013)