View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused PCS and returning to work

Hi every one. I am a 32 year old home health physical therapist, meaning that I go to houses or facilities. In January, while driving between patients, I was at a dead stop and rear ended by someone doing 40mph. Initially, at the hospital, I was only diagnosed with whiplash. 2 days later I went to see the workers comp doctor and was diagnosed with a concussion bc of my symptoms. I was sent to a ortho to rule out any neck problems and I was sent to a neurologist to manage my PCS symptoms.
I was pulled out of work the day of my accident. My PCS symptoms were horrible (HA, trouble speaking, poor memory, unable to control emotions, etc) and have gradually lessened over time. Now I still suffer from headaches, almost daily, and they range from 3-8/10. The neurologist is referring me to a psychiatric hospital for an evaluation to determine if I am ready to go back to work.
Here is my concern/where I need advice. On workers comp, I am making 1/3 of what I was when I was working.....it's a HUGE difference! I was set to close on a house and the lender backed out when they ran my status and saw that I was currently off work. I really really really want to get back to work, start making money again an buy my house. I love my parents and all, but I'm ready. But if I go back to work, I'm back to work. I know that legally I can go back out if needed, but in reality it doesn't work that way. If I start taking on patients, they're mine. So that means that I also can't call in sick 3-4 days if my head is killing me bc my patients would not be seen.
Does anyone have any advice? Or tell me what you would do in my situation? Or any input on the symptoms getting better? My doc said 6 months but it's been just about 5 and I don't forsee them magically disappearing anytime soon.
NikkiG_PT is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote