Thread: Newbie Advice
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

PT,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Please, just because your school is teaching you to a PhD level, understand that there are scads of MS PT's who you will do well to match the skills of after 5 or 10 years of practice. I have been treated by a dozen PT's and just like chiros, the gifted ones are in the very small minority. Hope you can develop to be a gifted PT.

This giftedness idea is important because it means you can rise above classroom skills. That is the problem with concussions. Very few professionals have anything more than minimal classroom skills.

Unfortunately, it appears you have had not proper traing or information about concussions as you went through your sports career. Getting a second concussion within 2 weeks of a previous concussion means someone put you at serious risk.

With your history, there is no statistical data that means anything. Soccer means you have not only suffered concussions but you have also suffered a large number of sub-concussive impacts. These are symptomless head impacts from heading the ball and such. The statistical data that is available shows a 9 point IQ differential between those who routinely head a soccer ball and those who do not.

I believe you need to seriously consider how your continued studies are contributing to your prolonged concussion symptoms. The standard for recover is quiet rest. This means only enough stimulation to keep good blood flow through the brain. No pushing the limits cognitively or physically.

Most PhD programs include a research thesis. If you will need to complete a research thesis, here is a subject. Most concussion subjects with long term symptoms will also be found to have Atlas to occiput instability. As you know, this joint is a very unstable joint compared to the lower vertebra. It has minimal chondyle/facet depth to center the atlas in the occiput. The common indicating symptom is tenderness and spasm behind the ears. Icing this area can be helpful.

You may need to consider this for yourself. The vehicle collision caused concussion very likely damaged this joint leaving it even more unstable with your concussion history.

When you discuss your concussion with doubters, it helps to be able to break down your symptoms and possible causes. People tend to disregard the blanket concussion catch all. The Vitamins sticky at the top also has links to the Brain Injury Survival Guide. It has some good information about the various symptoms.

As a PT student, you want to be careful about how you consider your own condition. In my decades of being treated by PT's of all stripes and skill sets, they almost all had a focus on routinely checking ROM. ROM has little to due with joint strength/health, especially when it come to the upper neck. Pursuing ROM may defeat the need to rest the joint and protect the soft tissue so it can heal in a disciplined use protocol.

Just like the struggling brain needs activities that do not push it or stress it, the same can be true for the upper neck injuries from concussion traumas. I have a chronic upper neck instability. I have full ROM but must be careful to not use that full ROM is a quick fashion. If I need to look to the side, I start my rotation at the shoulders. This slows the rotational speed and reduces the ROM needed at the upper neck.

Enough already. When doubters speak up, let them know the old axiom. When you have seen one brain injury, you have seen ONE brain injury. No statistical analysis will change that.

btw, From your comments and history, I bet you are a Type A personality. This is a big trigger of concussion head aches. There is a serious need to be able to let go, especially of those things that we have little influence over. And, we do have very little influence over concussion symptoms other than to accept them and try to slow down.

Now, I have probably stepped all over your instructors ideas. Real life experience will trump classroom and book work every day. But, I don't mean to degrade their or your efforts. There is usually a wealth of good information found when we are open to mixing class, book and experiential understanding. Books are usually so limiting.

Next head ache, try icing the back of your head/neck. 15 on, 30 off, repeat. 1 part rubbing alcohol with 3 parts water in a zip lock bag will freeze to a crushable/moldable ice pack. Make three and you will be able to rotate them as you need. And, try to maintain good head/neck alignment when you are icing or relaxing.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote